perth

perth

Saturday, July 26, 2014

1,000 Reasons

Many of you know and most likely often sing the worship song 
"Bless the Lord, O my soul, O my soul
Worship His holy name."

The end of the 2nd verse:
"For all your goodness I will keep on singing
10,000 reasons for my heart to find."

This is something I know for sure. He is the most consistent, kind and caring Being. 
But how deep does this sink. 
How often do I miss His goodness in the small things?


In 1 Thessalonians 5:18 Paul writes, "Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus."

Often, when I think of God's will for my life, my mind immediately goes to "mile-stones."  The main ones being, husband, long-term calling, living location, kids, these sorts of things. I have read this verse many times and missed an essential truth. That God's will is for me to be thankful. Whatever is going on, whoever I am with, be thankful. 

this is powerful

Like Paul, I wanted and still aspire to learn the secret of being content (Phil 4:11).

It's cultivating a lifestyle of gratefulness.

So a year and a half ago I decided to start a list of 1,000 blessings. This has been an on-going list..as I have not been very diligent in the task.  But I have decided to share God's blessings in my life, however big or small. Some may seem so incredible insignificant to you but have meant the world to me. These prove over and over again just how personal He is and how He knows me better than anyone else

I started this list while I was on a missions trip in Africa, you might be able to pick that up easily...but here are the first 100.

graduation parties//smart phones// downtime in the midst of craziness //generosity of a friend to buy you a pack of glucose biscuits (African treat)//friends who will spend 4+ hours picking lice out of my hair// cool breeze seeping through window at night//running water//crackling g-nuts to start off the morning//mechanical skills//sleeping in//laughter that makes your stomach hurt//nicknames that come out of nowhere//packaged rice crispy treats//knives to spread things on toast//strong boys who can push the POJ mini-bus//cars that run smoothly//coolness night brings//morning dew//offers to wash dirty socks//mental math that makes you feel like a genius//boldness to ask embarrassing/tough questions//head lice remover//fluent English speakers//generous amount of clouds that cover sun in midday heat//quality time with quality people//counsel and advice of godly people//warm showers with high water pressure//having more than one option to wear my hair//incredible leaders//cereal//big sisters//exercise buddies//encouragement//closets//wisdom and discernment//supportive friends and family//feeling of being clean//American food//godly sister who seeks the Lord//guts to talk about uncomfortable topics//God's voice//difficult people that show me my heart//snow//cold winter//Pizza made right//global communication//skype//challenge to be generous//attraction//Amada living so close//large and comfy bed//Christmas festivities//decorations//the mood candles bring//the holiday spirit//cars with 4-wheel drive//anointed worship leaders//down comforter//care of my mum//being able to lend a helpful hand//time//chai lattes//maturity//Christmas songs//texting//effective communication//fun at Ikea//target//people who understand//google//the world at my fingertips//the Bible//joyful children//infectious joy//old people not afraid to say what’s on their mind//accountability buddies//radio//sleepovers//fun of making a music video //homemade maple syrup//seat warmers//master keys//free education//solid teachers who care about students//quest for knowledge//fuzzy -wuzzy blankets//robes and slipper socks//hair straighteners//cell phone reception//great service at a restaurant//constant Wi-Fi//moonlit foggy nights//fresh air//holidays spent with family//latest and greatest technology//genuine smiles//awkward situations//driver’s license//embrace of seeing and old friend//books


*I've bold-ed some of my favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment